REAL problems with X crashing for fc5 and radeon cards - Help ?

Mike Cohler mike.cohler at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 21:46:10 UTC 2006

Kam Leo wrote:

>If you are not using the Trident adapter go into the BIOS and disable it.

I wish I could!  I could not find anything in the BIOS to do it !

I did have a few extra thoughts though - maybe there is a kernel parameter
that can be passed to the kernel for boot to select the correct card - I
think the crux of the issue is that the system detects the Trident but then
correctly finds the monitor and it is on a different card !

I wondered if adding the "BusID parameter to the xorg.conf in the graphics
device definition might do it - and I guess the BusID is listed on
lspci ? It has been hard to find documents on this - anyone know some
useful links ?

After much googling I found some secrets well buried. I found out that
if you run lspci and get the BusID from the first line of the graphics
card entry, say 0:0d.0, then you can specify this in the xorg.conf
file for example:

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
        BoardName   "nVidia Corporation NV34M [GeForce FX Go5200]"
        Screen  0
        BusID   "PCI:0:13:0"
EndSection

OK it seems that the trick is to convert the hex value from the lspci
output into a triplet
of colon separated decimal values - hence the 13 above.

In my case I would just have to add the BusID line to the existing entry which
I can copy from the FC4 xorg.conf file and add the BusID line.

I will have to try this next week - a lot of this magic seems to apply
to dual head systems but maybe if I am lucky it could help me with my
problem (and others too !)?
--

mike cohler