wifi pcmcia card only works if inserted after booting FC5

Lonni J Friedman netllama at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 21:59:51 UTC 2006

After fighting with this since upgrading from FC4 to FC5 two weeks
ago, I've finally isolated the problem down a big.  Basically the
problem I'm having is that my Linksys WPC11v3 (802.11b) pcmcia wifi
card will only 'see' the network if I physically insert it after FC5
has finished booting fully.  If the card is inserted during bootup,
then I _never_ can get it to see anything.

The only thing that I get for an error is:
ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth1: link is not ready

This card uses the orinoco_cs driver, however for some bizarre reason
the hostap_cs driver is also getting loaded, even though its never
used.

At any rate, this is extremely frustrating, because I have to remember
(and worse tell everyone else who uses this notebook) to physically
remove the card before booting up, or they get no network connection.
This problem did not exist prior to the FC5 upgrade.  Help?!?

L. Friedman                                    netllama at gmail.com
LlamaLand                       http://netllama.linux-sxs.org