About "ata1: command....."

Stephen Liu satimis at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 24 00:59:57 UTC 2006

Hi Filippos,

> no I've avoided the nVidia drivers since my system is only for
> numerical
> work
> and did not want additional problems. The PCI ethernet seems to be
> working
> fine although I have a nForce ethernet card and the driver for it is
> the
> reverse-engineered  'forcedeth' module. At first I thought that was
> the
> culprit
> for the freezes.

Without installing nVidia drivers, after tuning BIOS and OS;

NOW
- FC5_64 does not freeze frequently
- onboard LAN is working for at least one day
- onboard sound. Haven't check it yet because no sound files on this
new box.
- "ata1: command..." does not appear any more

After enabling "OnChip VGA TrapEnable [Enabled]" onboard LAN is working
without causing FC%_64 freezes.  Internet browsing has been working at
one day.

Problem remained unsolved (so far discovered)
- USB thumb drive doesn't work on this box
- poweroff is NOT power off ONLY system halted.
I suspect whether the problem coming from kernel booting option -
noacpi
(without this option the box will hang)
- the warning "Powerno-k8: mp system not supported by PSB Bios
structure still appears on starting booting

I'll continue googling around for information to solve above problems.

I'm quite happy with FC5_64.  Tks again for your advice.

B.R.
SL