A question on installing - FC5 32bit and M$Win2000

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Mon Apr 24 02:07:20 UTC 2006

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006, Stephen Liu wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I'm going to install FC5_32 and M$Win2000 on the same drive as a test
> ONLY.  Installing M$Win2000 is only to satisfy the technical support of
> ASUS.  Whenever I asked a question on the motherboard A8N-VM the only
> reply from them is "We don't support Linux" only "Win2000, XP, etc." as
> printed on the manual.
>

> I'm prepared to prepartition the HD first as follows.  a 40G HD
>
> Partitions
> 1) for FC5_32
> 100M /boot
> 10G /
> 15G /home
>
> 2) for Win2000
> 10G
>
> 3) the remaining capactity for future use
>

> I wonder whether;
>
> 1) installing Win2000 first OR FC5_32 first

Installing Win2K first is recommended, although the other way around is
also possible.  Note that Win's boot disk and /boot must be primary
partitions.

> 2) would their installation affect each another, i.e. the latter
> install OS will influence the first OS already installed.

The only thing you really need to worry about is the MBR.  What I do on
dual-boot machines is install the Linux boot loader in the boot record of
the /boot partition.  After the install and before first boot, I use the
rescue disk to run fdisk and make /boot the active partition.  That way,
the disk's MBR is always under Windows's control, and the two OS's don't
have to fight about it.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences