mysterious keyboard, mouse lockups with FC5

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Mon Apr 24 12:20:22 UTC 2006

Filippos Klironomos wrote:
> Unfortunatelly that's where everything points at. The DSDT table (surprise,
> surprise) might be
> buggy (surprise, surprise). From what I read here:
>
> http://www.al-najjar.co.uk/
>
> it's most likely that, and of course there is no precompiled DSDT for me to
> use, so I have to dig myself. Ahhh the good old days are back!  Unfortunately
> I don't have the time to do that so if the crude patch of disabling APIC
> altogether works for me, I'll stick to it. The only downside is that there
> is no interrupt balancing between the two CPUs but I can still use the
> second, which is what matter to me for now.

I'm not convinced by that site.

DSDTs are part of the BIOS interface to ACPI (Advanced Configuration and
Power Interface). BIOS ACPI implementations are notoriously buggy, and
can easily crash kernels. So you may need to turn that off (noacpi --
you'll lose hardware power-off).

An APIC (Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller, which is
responsible for interrupt balancing, as you say) is pretty unrelated.
You may well be able to turn off ACPI without turning off APIC.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | For every complex problem, there is a solution
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | that is simple, neat, and wrong.