mplayerplug-in problem [solved - sort of - it's Selinux on FC5]

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Apr 24 16:21:04 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-04-24 at 12:14 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
> On Mon April 24 2006 11:52, Paul Howarth wrote:
> > Having established that's it's an SELinux issue using
> > "setenforce 0", you might find that this is a less drastic
> > fix:
> >
> > # semanage fcontext -a -f -- -t textrel_shlib_t \
> >         '/usr/lib(64)?/ati-fglrx/.*\.so(\..*)?'
> > # restorecon -Rv /usr/lib/ati-fglrx
> >
> > After doing that, try "setenforce 1" and see if things still
> > work. If so, include the result of this test in your SELinux
> > bug report.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, Paul. Unfortunately, it didn't work. I
> setenforced back to 1 after running your commands, and the old
> behavior returned. I setenforced back to 0 again, and things
> started working. Do I need to undo anything that your command
> did? I'm sorry, but I don't know enough to understand what your
> suggestion did.

Can you try:

# ls -lZ /usr/lib/ati-fglrx

All the shared libraries should be textrel_shlib_t.

Do you get the exact same error message?

The semanage command can be reverted by using "-d" (delete) instead of
"-a" (add):

# semanage fcontext -d -f -- -t textrel_shlib_t \
	'/usr/lib(64)?/ati-fglrx/.*\.so(\..*)?'

Re-running the identical "restorecon" command should revert all shared
libraries in that directory to lib_t.

> I was just trying to file a bug report for Fedora, but they don't
> include a selinux component in the list. Should I be filing this
> bug directly with selinux? I looked briefly on the selinux nsa
> site, but didn't see a bugzilla page...

You probably want the selinux-policy-targeted component in Fedora Core.
Your bug might get fixed quicker though if we can identify exactly
what's needed first.

Paul.