Remote X

Kevin Sigl Kevin.Sigl at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 03:05:18 UTC 2006

Jonathan Allen wrote:
> J. K. Cliburn wrote:
>
>> Jonathan Allen wrote:
>>
>>> I find that it will run an individual task (xterm, ooffice, etc.) fine,
>>> but one of the reasons I wanted this was to be able to do remote system
>>> admin using the various drop-down menus and service lists that are a part
>>> of the standard Gnome session/desktop.
>>>
>>> Any ideas ?
>>>
>> There was a thread posted here within the last week, in response to
>> which I detailed the steps for activating xdmcp across 2 FC5 hosts.
>> Search the archive and I'm sure you'll find it.
>>

> Thanks for the suggestion, but this needs to be secure, so neither VNC
> or XDMCP are an option.  I'm working a number of leads to avoid the
> window manager clash or to use FreeNX.
>
> Jonathan

This reminded me of xnest so I went yum install xorg-x11-server-Xnest,
then eventually worked out this command:

xinit /usr/bin/ssh servername "startkde&"  -- /usr/bin/Xnest :1 -ac -fp
unix/:7100

Doesn't work great because fonts are screwed up and -ac disables
authorization but it does communicate over ssh with a full kde session
with one command.

Kevin Sigl