Bad night with FC-5

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Tue Apr 25 11:50:40 UTC 2006

Michael A. Peters wrote:

>> Is it me, or has anaconda really deteriorated?
>
> Anaconda has gone through some changes - IE it now is using yum.
> On a machine where anaconda fails - I try an http install. Very often
> that works. It seems anaconda isn't patient enough to wait for the disk
> to finish mounting on some hardware, so it works via http install but
> not by DVD install.
>
> If that doesn't work (and I've seen even that fail, especially on
> laptops - seems that the pcmcia utils on the fc5 disk has a bug with
> some laptops preventing cardbus cards from working) - then I do a fc4
> install.
>
> After installing fc4 I yum update the kernel (a must), then update yum,
> then I install the fedora-release from fc5. This then allows me to do a
> yum update to bring it up to fc5.

It doesn't seem that your experience is very different from mine.

It's a pity, because it means that I could not recommend a newbie
to try Fedora, as the risk of failure during installation is too high.
On my experience, the probability of a failure while reading the CDs
is at least 30%.

I wish the Anaconda people would get advice from Mr Knoppix or Mr Slax.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366