How does Fedora want "ordinary people" to manage mobile network computing?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Apr 25 14:57:37 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 25 April 2006 08:33, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>On Mon, 24 Apr 2006, Michael A. Peters wrote:
>> On Mon, 2006-04-24 at 23:20 -0500, Paul Johnson wrote:
>>> I'm an "old hand" at Linux, and am able to make my wired & wireless
>>> connections work, but only with some difficulty.  Yesterday I
>>> helped a young lady install linux on a laptop and found it
>>> darned-near impossible to explain to her how she is supposed to
>>> handle the problem of going for place-to-place, using different
>>> wired and wireless networks.  So I wondered if the Gnome or KDE
>>> folks had worked this out.
>>
>> The path they are taking is network-manager.
>
>That's spelled NetworkManager, as in
>
>  # chkconfig netowrk off
>  # chkconfig NetworkManager on
>  # service NetworkManager start

Which might be 100% fine, but you need to throw in that it might be fine
IF you're NOT using ndiswrapper for a broadcom chipset.  I tried that
once and it destroyed wlan0. I was smart enough to have kept a backup
copy though.  As to the DriverLoader thingy, I'd expect similar
results.

Which leads me to ask, since there is a bcmwl5.ko module present in the
2096 modules tree, how far away is it from actually being useable?

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: