Wrong "Application Not Responding" Dialogs When Closing Applications

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Apr 25 21:39:48 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-25 at 10:43 -0400, Dan wrote:
> David Timms wrote:
> > Jay Cliburn wrote:
> [snip]
> > There are times when exit really means exit now or be killed, for
> > example during shutdown. The process gives every app a can you close
> > please signal, if it isn't closed within a timeframe, sends a
> > terminate now signal (which can not be ignored by an app), this
> > ensures the machine actually shuts down rather than waiting forever
> > for apps to close.
> Far too often, when I am forced to use the monopoly OS, I find myself
> wishing there even existed a kill signal in Windows. But I'm sure in the
> cases when I need it, the program that executed the kill signal would
> take hours to open. *sigh*

You didn't mention if you were running Gnome or KDE.  If it's Gnome,
it's likely a setting in your ~/.gnome/session file or the global
/usr/share/gnome/default.session file, specifically the warn-delay
or the suicide-delay settings.  Both default to 10 seconds.  See
"man gnome-session" for details.

> [snip]
> > DaveT.
> -Dan

-  BASIC is the Computer Science version of `Scientific Creationism' -