yum cannot find a valid baseurl for repo

Nader Mirzaee nmirzaee at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 26 19:33:32 UTC 2006

 El Mi�rcoles, 26 de Abril de 2006 15:16, Nader Mirzaee escribi�:
> Hi list,
>
> i have installed FC5 ,when i try to update the system it says:
> # yum -y update
> Setting up Update Process
> Setting up repositories
> core
> [1/4] Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: core
> Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: core

Show us what you have in your "core" repo that you have in /etc/yum.repos.d
Maybe is misspelled something in the baseurl or mirrorurl statement.

I think that you have a proper connection to internet also, right?

this is my core repo:
[core]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch
baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/os/
mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/fedora-core-$releasever
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY

[core-debuginfo]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Debug
baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/debug/
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY

[core-source]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - Source
baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/source/SRPMS/
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY
there was a # in front of baseurl !    i removed it and now i have this :
[root at localhost yum.repos.d]# yum -y update
Setting up Update Process
Setting up repositories
core                                                                 [1/4]
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/5/i386/os/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (-2, 'Name or service not known')>
Trying other mirror.
Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: core
failure: repodata/repomd.xml from core: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.
Error: failure: repodata/repomd.xml from core: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.