NetworkManager: A User's Review

Robert F. Chapman robert_chapman at maximhq.com
Thu Apr 27 00:04:50 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-26 at 18:01 -0500, Paul Johnson wrote:
> I asked about wireless support in this list a couple of days ago and
> people pointed me at NetworkManager.  It was not running on my system,
> perhaps because my system was installed with FC3 and then upgraded to
> FC4 and FC5, so new services were not activated as they would be in a
> fresh install.
>
> My experience is mixed.
>
> For the wired and non-encrypted wireless, it seems to be fine.
> HOwever, for the networks that require a WEP key, I can't log in with
> it. When I try with NM, it asks me for a WEP passphrase and it asks if
> I am in an "open network" or "shared network".   I don't know what
> those mean, but I've tried all combinations and it does not log in.

The Open Network or Shared Key are separate from the WEP encryption keys
(Passphrase).  An Open Network does not require an Encrypted RSA/DSA KEY
to gain access to the network, the Shared Key does. Most users do not
use this feature as it's a little bit more difficult to setup, but
offers a much more secure system.

The WEP encryption key is used for the encryption of the data between
your wireless router and your wireless computer.

> On the other hand, with the key saved in
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts, the home network does come up, either
> from the command line:
>
> /sbin/ifup home
>
> or inside system-config-network.
>
> Can NetworkManager be made to read the WEP key as it is already set by
> system-config-network?
>
> pj

Thus far I haven't had any success with WEP of any kind, as the wireless
drivers for my wireless card do not support it.  Anyone with any
suggestions for a well supported Wireless G notebook adapter would be
much appreciated.

> --
> Paul E. Johnson
> Professor, Political Science