NetworkManager: A User's Review

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Apr 27 03:00:41 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 26 April 2006 22:24, Charles Curley wrote:
>On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 09:49:26PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> >
>> >This sounds suspiciouly like my experience until now. What I just
>> >discovered is that NM does not like or play with 64 bit WEP keys.
>> > You must use 128 bit WEP keys. You might check your AP for the
>> > size of the keys.
>>
>> Mine are all 128 bit, it simply ignores them.
>
>OK, here's a really wierd, off the wall, warped suggestion, worth
>every penny you're paying for it. Try changing them to 64 bit.

I don't know anyone using that narrow a key, 256 and 512 would be in
wider use except for legacy stuff.

Here's an interesting tidbit, I just had KwifiManager do a scan, and it
found another signal!  But I'm not detecting any stray accesses, and
this is not exactly a technical utopia in this neighborhhod.

Here also is another interesting tidbit, once the dhclient has been
started, it doesn't go away, and has to be killed by finding it process
number and killing it.  After going back to fixed addresses and finally
getting things hooked up again, the log on the firewall was still being
bombarded with:
Apr 26 22:30:48 gene dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.71.102 from
00:14:a5:75:32:c9 via eth1
Apr 26 22:30:48 gene dhcpd: DHCPACK on 192.168.71.102 to
00:14:a5:75:32:c9 via eth1
Apr 26 22:31:00 gene dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.71.102 from
00:14:a5:75:32:c9 via eth1
Apr 26 22:31:00 gene dhcpd: DHCPACK on 192.168.71.102 to
00:14:a5:75:32:c9 via eth1

at semi-random intervals but 3-5 times a minute.

Should that not have been killed by a service network stop?

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: