How to use dvgrab.

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Thu Apr 27 04:28:39 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-04-22 at 19:55 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:

> My advice would be to test whether you can get the camcorder to play into
> xawtv or similar package.  If you can watch and monitor the output there you
> should be OK to capture in kino.  If you can't, it may be a connection or
> interfacing problem.

If it's connected to the computer via FireWire, to a FireWire interface,
then it's digital, most likely DV (Digital Video), in which case
dvgrab/Kino are the tools to use for capture.

If it's connected via a regular video cable to some kind of TV tuner
card or anything else with an analogue video input, then it's analog and
some other tools need to be used.

Most digital cameras also have analog outputs, in which case the digital
output must be used since it provides _much_ better quality.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/