NetworkManager: A User's Review

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Apr 27 07:53:07 UTC 2006

On Thursday 27 April 2006 02:12, Dan wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:

>>> This sounds suspiciouly like my experience until now. What I just
>>> discovered is that NM does not like or play with 64 bit WEP keys.
>>> You must use 128 bit WEP keys. You might check your AP for the size
>>> of the keys.
>>
>> Mine are all 128 bit, it simply ignores them.
>
>You two seem to be having lots of trouble with NM, so I'd just like to
>put it out there: works for me. No configuration in
>system-config-network, any scripts, or anything, just a clean FC5
>install, installed the ipw2200 driver, configured NM/NMDispatcher

Unforch, it seems the ipw2200 driver is much more mature.  But does it
work with broadcom 4318 radio's

>services to start on start, and network to not, rebooted. Clicked the
>nm-applet icon, connect to other network, entered WEP key (I've used
>both 128 and 64 bit keys in both hex and ASCII versions, all work
> fine), connect.

NetworkManager has never asked me for a key.  Not once.

> The first time it took a long time but after that,
> what you'd expect, 5-10 seconds. I tried WPA once and it didnt work,
> but I think that's not exactly a NM issue, I didn't have the
> motivation to look into that. I usually just connect to my WEP router
> with a wire anyway, and the wireless network i connect to just has a
> VPN. This also works flawlessly by the way, with NetworkManager-vpnc.
>NM doesn't read any keys set up for network, it stores them itself
> when you enter them in its dialogs. It does however read settings for
> static IP and such from network.

>Shared keys were originally intended to be a more secure way to
> initiate connection with a WEP-protected access point, as the key
> needs to be validated before a client can even connect, however this
> actually makes it less secure, as the key can (theoretically) be
> reverse engineered from the router's challenge broadcast. So open
> authentication is recommended, and I believe it is the one NM is
> intended to work with. There is definitely a lack of documentation
> for NM, but thats probably because its a very simple GUI program
> designed to "just work" and doesn't have a lot of advanced features
> to document. I'm sure it will get better with time. I hope somehow
> you two can get it working eventually, it's really very nice when it
> works :).
>-Dan

This broadcom radio works well also, when set for fixed addresses, known
keys and matching ESSID's.  But the discovery of a lan out in the field
is very difficult when you've NDI what the key is.  Between that and no
dhcpd action when its configured to use it, its very damned
discouraging.  I did find some updated NetworkManager stuffs on
updates-testing and installed tonight them but it made no diff, it
still doesn't use the keys-wlan0 file thats there for it to use, nor
does it ask me for a key.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: