Fedora Core 5 on vmware?

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 23:51:47 UTC 2006

On 4/27/06, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I was with you down to here. How do you know he isn't
> > > asking because he needs/wants to use it for work?
> > >
> > > [snip]
> > >

> > If he is doing this for work why wouldn't he contact VMware for
> > support? Is he not using licensed software?
>
> Well, fedora is the one that broke things since it worked
> as-is for versions before FC5, and I think you'll find few
> commercial vendors that support anything regarding fedora.
> (And fedora returns the favor by not supporting vmware
> too...)
>
> But, chances are good he's using the free VMplayer or free
> server version of VMware anyway which only have support
> on their forum, and they don't know as much about fedora
> as the people here.
>
> --
>   Les Mikesell
>    lesmikesell at gmail.com

VMware's community forum is very active with Fedora and the other
Linux distros. The fixes for problems encountered with rawhide builds
were being discussed before FC5 was released.

VMware Player uses pre-built appliances. Installation would not be a
problem in this instance since someone has already done the
configuration and setup of FC5.
If the OP was using VMware Server he would have beta software hosting
beta software. In that instance I believe he would have mentioned that
he was using Server.