New prob, no music player works on this lappy.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Apr 27 23:17:11 UTC 2006

On Thursday 27 April 2006 18:45, Mark Haney wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> HP laptop, dv5320us, light scribe cd/dvd writer drive.  FC5-i386
>> installed.
>>
>> When I insert an audio cd, it eventially asks me what I want to do I
>> clicked on play.  But that app, although it goes thru the motions (I
>> think it was Kscd) is silent, and none of the input switches and
>> buttons in kmix will do anything but bring up circuit noise, no
>> audio seems to be making it from the cd reader to the rest of the
>> system.
>>
>> When I looked in /media to see if hal or udev had created a device
>> there, it had not done so.
>>
>> grip, noatun and a couple other apps are all similarly blessed with
>> silence.
>>
>> Any good ideas as to what to check next?
>
>Just for fun, have you looked at alsamixer?  I've found that to be off
>in every laptop I've ever setup.

Most of it was on, and now all of it is.
Alsamixer reports it as an ATI IXP with a chip=conexant id 30
How do I change the 'view' to either capture or all?  Ahh, got that, F5
and its all on & cranked.  Nothing but circuit noises in the headphones
& nothing in the speakers.  All the kde noisemakers work just fine.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: