How to verify transmission quality & cables on gigabit network?

Rob spamrefuse at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 28 03:33:12 UTC 2006

Hello,

I have a cluster, master + 8 nodes, connected via
a Netgear Gigabit Ethernet Switch (model JGS516).

The cables are of CAT5 type.
Elsewhere I read that for a gigabit network, one
should use CAT6 type cables, to avoid bad
transmissions. Is that so?

I already have done basic speed checks, that indicate
a throughput of about 0.5 Gbps. Hence the network
appears to operate on half of its spec. speed.

Question 1:
Should I worry about this reduced speed?

Question 2:
How to check the transmission quality?
Should I inspect the output of "/sbin/ifconfig eth0"
for errors/dropped/overruns/collisions etc. in the
RX/TX lines?

Lan card info:
 master: Tigon3 10/100/1000BaseT Ethernet
   tg3: eth0: Link is up at 1000 Mbps, full duplex.
   tg3: eth0: Flow control is on for TX and on for RX.
 nodes: Realtek RTL8169
   eth0: Auto-negotiation Enabled.
   eth0: 1000Mbps Full-duplex operation.

Thanks for advice and help!