[PHILOSOPHY] Stability and Release Schedules

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 28 05:37:37 UTC 2006

Les Mikesell wrote:

>>>That would imply that you shouldn't expect software to work
>>>unless it all comes from a single vendor, which should
>>>not be the case at all - and if it is, you probably
>>>shouldn't use any of it.  Your interfaces either do
>>>what they are documented to do or not, and no amount
>>>of changes to other parts should change that.
>>
>>I guarantee you, with anything as complex as an entire
>>OS distribution, the interfaces do not all do exactly
>>what they are documented to do. Anyone believing otherwise
>>lives in a fantasy land.
>

> Oh, I believe a lot of things are broken.  I'm just not
> sure I agree that replacing everything at once with
> a new set that passed a couple of tests together is
> the right way to deal with it.  In particular it doesn't
> make any sense to me to have to replace a kernel and
> device drivers that have worked flawlessly on my hardware
> for the last year or more with some wildly different
> version just to get a new version of evolution and
> some other desktop apps.

I don't recall making that assertion.

>>It is true that not all software would benefit as much
>>from integration test as others. OTOH, things like the
>>compilers, linkage editors, link libraries, kernel,
>>server programs, device drivers, installers, disc editors
>>and partition managers, and boot loaders all need some
>>integration test.
>

> You seem to be forgetting that with fedora, the users
> *are* the integration test.  And for people who have their
> own apps, the OS distribution is just supposed to supply
> working unix-like interfaces.

I agree with you in some respects that Fedora Core is
more like a beta release than anything else. So I'll
concede that you have a certain point here.

But what I saw advocated, as I understood it, was the
complete abandonment of the concept of a release, and
instead piecemeal releases of all parts of the distro.
This would be unmaintainable. The installer, for example,
must be intimately aware of what the kernel and boot
loader expect. Trying to make it backwards and forwards
compatible would be... well I can't think of words
which would describe the mess.

Certainly, one could probably release Mozilla, or Thunderbird,
without much worry of incompatibilities. But not so
the kernel, or the compilers/devel tools, or the installer.

[snip]

>>Look at all the stuff SELinux broke.
>

> Well, yes - the unix-like interface was pretty well
> designed by about sysvr4 when linux started the attempt
> to emulate it.

That's my point. It makes no sense for things to become
"unbundled" beyond a certain point. Some things *must*
be tested as a whole package, a release.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.