troubles whit lan drivers using Fedora Core 4

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Apr 28 06:33:35 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-28 at 00:42 +0200, Rolando wrote:
> Hi
>
> for my new p.c. I bought a P5V800-MX ASUS motherboard whit
> internal NIC, and I would like to use Fedora Core 4.
> After FC4 installation (as workstation mode) the LAN does't work
> because I'have to install the driver for NIC: the driver is in a ASUS
> CD with others support softwares (audio driver, vga driver, etc.).
> To do that ASUS releases a VIA Rhine Family Fast Ethernet Adapter for
> Linux driver (the compressed file name is rhinefet.tgz) with
> instructions for linux driver installation...
>
> ASUS writes:
> 1): compile the source code to generate rhinefet.ko (I'm using a
> 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4smp kernel)
> 2) insert the compiled file as module using insmode command
>
> But when I try, following instructions, to "make" the files I just
> obtain errors like "union <anonymous> has no member named 'ethernet'

Does the standard via-rhine module not support this adapter?

It's possible that the driver doesn't support recent kernels. Does the
documentation with it say which kernels it's supposed to support?

What instructions have you followed (what have you done?)? Do you have
the kernel-devel package for your running kernel installed?

Paul.