any suggestions to choose cool programs to edit files?

Mauricio Vergara Ereche mave at nic.cl
Fri Apr 28 20:06:55 UTC 2006

El Viernes, 28 de Abril de 2006 15:02, BB Cao escribió:
> Dear All,

Hi!

> I'm staring change to linux to work on editing things, such as,
> documents, presentations, figures,... I used to do those things on
> Windows machines. Of course, all my other jobs has been done on Linux and
> I am very pleased of that. As a starter, I found it is difficult to find
> apropriate programs. Your suggestions will be highly appreciated. I'm
> interested in doing the following:
>
> 1, write Latex files,

emacs with auctex. Powerfull combo

> 2, write a daily record,(diary?)

I don't know if that record it's with some special "language" (XML? html? or
just plain text), but I think you could use something like kontact
(strictly speaking: korganizer or knotes)

> 3, occasionaly edit a couple of webpages,

To modify something quickly, I use jed (it's a reduced emacs), but if you're
looking something more visual, try with nvu or quanta

> 4, organize references

bibtex did you say?
auctex with emacs again.

Greets!

--
Mauricio Vergara Ereche                   User #188365 counter.li.org
NIC Chile                                         mave [@] nic [.] cl