NetworkManager update

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 28 21:11:29 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-27 at 09:43 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> I don't know if starting a new thread is the best idea, but the other
> topic's tree is really dense now, and I didn't want this to get buried.
>
> Here are a couple of things to try:
>
> (1) It occurred to me that most of the people having trouble are probably
> using the NM that shipped with FC5.  There is a NetworkManager update in
> updates-testing that you should really try.
>
>  	yum --enablerepo=updates-testing NetworkManager
should this not be:
yum --enablerepo=updates-testing update NetworkManager

> The update has been in testing for nearly a month.  I don't know why some
> of these updates are taking so long to be rolled out.
>
> (2) You also want the initscripts from updates-testing (also long overdue
> to be pushed out, IMO).  If your machine has multiple NICs, then the
> current initscripts can swap them on boot and cause lots of flakiness.
> Once initscripts is updated, clear the DHCP leases from /var/<something
> dhcp related> before trying again.  If it were me, I'd delete all devices
> in system-config-network, reboot, and reconfigure the interfaces as needed
> as well.
>
> (3) Some of the reliability issues are due to interactions between NM and
> flakey drivers, and are not NM's fault.  (Usability is a different
> matter.)  It might be worth trying the Netdev kernels at
> http://people.redhat.com/linville/kernels/fedora-netdev/.  They contain
> many driver updates.
>
> (4) There are a number of useful hints for NM and ipw2200 at
> http://www.ces.clemson.edu/linux.  Users of other drivers may find some
> useful information there as well.
>
> (4) For real help with NM, send your issues to the developers' list,
> networkmanager-list at gnome.org (subscribe at http://mail.gnome.org).  For
> real bugs, file them in Fedora's Bugzilla.  The goal of NM is to make
> managing connections to multiple networks painless.  If it isn't quite
> there yet, the developers can use all the help you can provide.
>
> HTH.
> --
>  		Matthew Saltzman
>
> Clemson University Math Sciences
> mjs AT clemson DOT edu
> http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs

The beer-cooled computer does not harm the ozone layer. -- John M. Ford,
a.k.a. Dr. Mike [If I can read my notes from the Ask Dr. Mike session at
Baycon, I believe he added that the beer-cooled computer uses "Forget
Only Memory". Ed.]
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net