windows lost after installing Linux

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Fri Apr 28 21:29:17 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-28 at 09:25 -0700, Douglas Phillipson wrote:

> Ankush Grover wrote:
> > Hey friends,
> >
> >   One of my friend has recently installed FC4 on a Desktop PC on which
> > Windows 2000 was there. Now he is not able to boot to windows and he has
> > very important files on windows.
> >
> > How will he get the option of dual boot means how to edit grub so that
> > he can get the option of dual boot?
> >

> > Thanks & Regards
> >
> > Ankush Grover
> >

> If you have a Win98 boot floppy laying around, you can boot it and at
> the dos prompt type "fdisk /mbr" (Without the quotes).  This will
> restore the  Microsoft master boot record.  Then reboot.  Then you don't
> have to deal with grub.  This assumes he didn't overwrite the whole
> windows installation with FC4.

This will restore the microsoft boot record.  However, it will not
restore the ntloader which is needed to boot from the ntfs partition.

He can do better by booting to the W2K install disk and selecting the
repair console then he will have a command that (I believe) is called
FIXMBR which will restore the boot sector.

However, it has been requested several times that the OP provide the
output of "fdisk -l" so we can confirm the Windows partition is still
there.  If he overwrote the windows partition it cannot be recovered.