Help: aborted 'yum upgrade' and corrupted rpm database resulted

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sat Apr 29 00:10:56 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-28 at 16:07 -0700, Robinson Tiemuqinke wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  Just encounts an odd problem with yum 2.4 on Fedora
> Core 4: obsoleted rpms are not cleanup by yum when the
> latter is killed and runs again.
>
>  I tried to update the system the newest patch level,
> it works at the beginning but suddently yum hangs --
> most packages were updated with a few left.
>
>  I had to kill the yum process and restart again, this
> time it runs to the end and upgrade all the left
> packages.
>
> But when I tried to see what's in my rpm database, I
> found that there are duplicate entries for all
> packages upgraded before hang -- Yum doesn't cleanup
> the old version info from rpm database because it
> hanged and then be killed.
>
> Any one know how to deal with this problem
> effectively? I hate to list tens of obsoleted rpms one
> by one and feed them to "rpm -e --justdb" command.

I am not sure how to do a cleanup other than by hand.
The cause was killing the yum process before it had performed the
cleanup phase (as you already indicated)

You might try redoing the update one package at a time with a force to
see if that has any effect.  Otherwise you are stuck with manually doing
the clean up.
/var/log/yum.log will list those packages that were updated with
date/time so it should be easy to identify the ones of concern.

A simple bit of scripting would automate the processing of multiple
packages for cleanup.
You would need 2 things.  A list of the packages of concern complete
with the version that rpm can understand, and a simple script with a for
loop to walk through the list one package at a time and do the rpm -e on
it.