how to change the existing password settings on FC3

Ankush Grover ankush174 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 30 06:31:31 UTC 2006

hey friends,

 I am using Fedora Core 3 as my production server for various services like
Web Services, Mail Services, FTP,CVS, Database etc. Now my server is going
live means  my company's server will be accessible through Internet. Well
this server will be protected by the Cisco Pix Firewall, but as this server
will be accessible through internet few services like Mail Services, Web
Server, FTP etc will be available to our partners and to the company's
employees.

I want to increase the password security of the server like minimum 10
characters password which must contain atleast 1 alphanumeric character and
atleast 1 Upper Case letter. Moreover if somebody tires to put his or
her last or middile or first name that should not be accepted.

for example if a user with name john abrahim is there while entering the
password if the user gives john or abrahim in his password it should be
rejected, I have seen some of the sites do like this(hotmail).

I can change the minimum password length from 5 to 10 characters or  may be
to 8 characters by editing the file /etc/login.defs but this setting will
only work for the new users not for the existing users. How do I change the
password settings for the existing users and how to enforce the minimum 1
aplhanumeric & 1 upper case character in the password and the password
should not contain the first or middle or last name of the user ?

Thanks & Regards

Ankush Grover