FC5 Firefox and KMail

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Fri Aug 4 22:24:43 UTC 2006

On Friday 04 August 2006 22:32, Jack Gates wrote:
> On Friday 04 August 2006 16:16, Daniel Hedlund wrote:
> > Jack Gates wrote:
> > > I have not been able to find a way to tell Firefox to use KMail
> > > when I click on an e-mail address in the browser.  If it can be
> > > done will some one tell me how?  I have looked in edit >
> > > preferences and can't find a setting. I have over looked it or it
> > > is not there.
> >
> > If you're using Gnome as your window manager,
> > in the gnome menu:  "System" -> "Preferences" -> "More Preferences"
> > -> "Preferred Applications"
> >
> > You can change the default mail reader in there....
>
> No, I am using KDE.  I haven't been able to find anything in the many
> places to change settings there either. :(
>
> --
> Jack Gates http://www.morningstarcom.net/

Hi Jack. I'm using KDE, and this is with FC2. I normally just use Konqueror,
and Kmail, but a while ago messed about with Firefox, and which E-mail client
it was using. By default it uses Evolution, presumably because Gnome is the
default desktop. Go to Main menu  > Preferences > Preferred Applications.
there are 4 tabs in this. the mail reader one allows you to select Kmail for
instance.

This appears to be working ok. Firefox > Tools > Read mail, opens up Kmail,
and going to a website and finding an E-mail link opens up Kmails composer
ok.

This is the same as Daniel mentioned, but he was working from Gnome.

All the best.

Nigel.