Writing to ext3 fs from XP

Hadders fedora at workingwithit.com
Mon Dec 4 09:34:28 UTC 2006

Gilboa Davara wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-12-04 at 16:49 +0800, Hadders wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>   Just wondering if anybody has had any experience of writing to an ext3
>> partition within windows.
>>
>> If found this driver, http://www.fs-driver.org/ . Sound goods, but only
>> has ext2 support.
>>
>> Does anybody know of anything similar for ext3?
>>
>> Why? Because I'm thinking of setting up a 120GB RAID 1 (mirror) and want
>> to share the mirror between Windows and Linux for backups.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> Why not use FAT32? Both Linux and Windows can use it. (...And *BSD and
> DOS and...)
> Plus, as you're using it for backups, you most likely don't need
> journaling/security/etc.
>
> - Gilboa

Maximum file size is 4GB,  my "My Documents" directory in Windows is
8GB, and I use the Windows Backup Utility, which isn't very sophisticated.

I suppose I could back it up to my NTFS volume, then zip/rar it as 4GB
volumes...   also it seems silly to have that limitation, of 4GB.

You're right, I'm not worried about journaling etc, it's mirror...