Backup and Restor MBR

David-Paul Niner dpniner at dpniner.net
Tue Dec 12 00:17:59 UTC 2006

Your response:

"I don't like to presume about what other people do. (BTW, you
might investigate the difference in meaning between "assume",
and "presume".)

The above is petty and small-minded.  Let people communicate in
whatever form they see fit, so long as its intelligible.   That sort
of behavior discourages new users from posting questions and drives
people away from lists like this, so it needs to be addressed.

Consider the point from that of a new user, who maybe has no
experience w/ Linux
at all.  S/he tries installing Fedora, maybe b/c of a friend's recommendation,
and then finds themselves in the position of needing advice.  No
problem, right? There are a ton of mailing lists available for posting
questions.

Mailing lists are the best and worst aspects of community support.  Offend or
insult a user and they won't come back for at least six months.  The
transition
to Linux from other OS's can be a daunting task as it is. And you never
know, that user's recommendations may extend beyond their keyboard and into
their university labs or work offices.

In (relatively) short--the ESR-era habit of critiquing every post in an
effort to prove oneself intellectually superior needs to die a slow and
painful death so that we can ALL benefit from knowledge sharing.

Just my measly $.02 (and my last word on the subject, I promise!)
DP