cpu overheating

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 12 09:39:55 UTC 2006

Ed Greshko wrote:
> Mike McCarty wrote:
>

>>No, just cheaply designed. There are MANY processors which cannot
>>run GIMPS, for example, because they have "good enough for normal
>>case" cooling designs.
>

> Change the above to read "MANY systems" instead of "MANY processors".  As

Point taken. The CPU itself is not the problem.

> you have noted, it is the bad cooling design that causes the problem...not
> the processor.

[snip]

>>THERE MAY BE A DEFECT IN THE SOFTWARE.
>

> So, you are saying that if I run the GIMPS torture test and my system
> overheats then there "may" be a defect in the GIMPS software?

Sorry, I guess I didn't make the exact context clear here.
The OP claims that his machine seems to overheat when running
Linux, but not Windows XP. Some seem to be saying "Well, you
have an underdesigned machine. The problem isn't Linux. It's
your box."

My point is that there may actually be some defect in Linux
which is eating lots of CPU on his machine, and this possibility
should be investigated, not cast aside with "well, your system
cooling is just underdesigned, get a new one".

[snip]

> 19.  At night, a cron job runs and gives GIMPS all 4 CPUs and a negative
> nice value.  On some summer days, since my wife is rather slim, I don't turn
> on the A/C until the room temp is above 30.  My system is on 24/7.  Never

I hope you mean 30 degres centigrade. I'd hate to think you turned on
the A/C when the room temp was 32 degrees Fahrenheit. No wonder your
machines don't overheat!

> had a heat issue.  But, I do check my fans and dust out the system on a
> regular basis.  Need to do that when you live in Taipei and you have 3 house
> cats.

You need to do that if you have three cats no matter where you live.

> Sorry, I don't buy into your theory that overheating may be hinting at
> "software with defects".  IMHO, if that were the case the virus/hackers of
> the world would be putting out "defective" code with the goal of burning up
> everyones systems.  :-)

Eh...

Why should Linux be using more CPU than Windows?

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.