/etc/udev/rules.d/bluetooth.rules out of line

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Thu Dec 14 18:12:24 UTC 2006

Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-12-14 at 11:01 +0000, Alan wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 18:48:56 -0800
>> Jonathan Ryshpan <jonrysh at pacbell.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Someone please tell the Bluetooth development group that the file:
>>> 	/etc/udev/rules.d/bluetooth.rules
>>> in the bluez-utils*.rpm doesn't follow the usual custom of prefixing the
>>> file name with a number, so that the order of execution can be
>>> controlled.  It should probably be called something like:
>>> 	/etc/udev/rules.d/97-bluetooth.rules
>>>
>>> I would tell them myself, but I am too lazy to subscribe to the
>>> bluetooth mailing list, send one message, and then unsubscribe.
>>
>> Then they are probably too lazy to fix it.
>
> This is a rather rude comment, particularly when addressed to someone
> who doesn't own any Bluetooth devices and probably never will own any.
> I want to do a small service to the Fedora community, but am too lazy
> to do a big one.
>
>> You could just put it in bugzilla.ed
>
> Nevertheless this is a good idea.  Maybe you should do it.

How is it not rude to assume that Alan hasn't done enough for you and
other Linux users?  (Clue: he has - and then some.)

If you find a bug and report it here, it's not at all out of line for
someone else to suggest putting it into bugzilla.  If you don't have a
bugzilla account, that must mean you run into very few bugs.  If
that's the case, I'd say that it would be a very kind gesture to
return the favor to those who have reported and fixed the bugs for you
by reporting this one that you noticed.

Reporting a bug to bugzilla or even to the bluetooth mailing list does
not count as a big service.  And it could have been done in
approximately the same amount of time as sending the initial email.

I'm not trying to be rude at all, so hopefully you won't take it that
way.

I would have made a good Pope.
    -- Richard M. Nixon (1913-1994)