network issue

Shawn javajunkie at koyuru.com
Tue Dec 19 16:10:47 UTC 2006

Hi,

Please help if you understand networking.
I believe something is misconfigured in my system when I
use /usr/bin/sytem-config-network.

The network is fine using DHCP and "automatically obtain DNS info from
provider"  However, it stops when I set it statically.

This is what it shows under /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet
USERCTL=no
PEERDNS=yes
IPV6INIT=no
NETMASK=*************
IPADDR=*************
GATEWAY=*************

Using /sbin/ifconfig I get my inet addr, bcast and mask.

Now, if I enter "statically set ip addresses" (in the system-config-
network gui) and enter the inet addr, bcast and mask; and stop/restart
the network via gui /usr/sbin/system-config-services

then /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 is changed to

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=none
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet
USERCTL=no
PEERDNS=yes
IPV6INIT=no
NETMASK=*************
IPADDR=*************
GATEWAY=**********

Note: another difference is that:

Note work set statically
[me at home network-scripts]# /sbin/ip route
aa.aaa.aaa.0/24 dev vnic0  proto kernel  scope link  src aa.aaa.aaa.2
bbb.b.ccc.0/2 dev eth0  proto kernel  scope link  src bbb.b.eee.29

working under dhcp
[me at home network-scripts]# /sbin/ip route
aa.aaa.aaa.0/24 dev vnic0  proto kernel  scope link  src aa.aaa.aaa.2
bbb.b.ccc.0/21 dev eth0  proto kernel  scope link  src bbb.b.eee.29
ddd.ddd.d.d.d dev eth0  scope link
default via bbb.b.ccc.1 dev eth0

Help!

Oh last info is that I am using
210.230.70.2
210.230.70.2
rosenet.ne.jp when I set dns statically
I think that is right
$ nslookup rosenet.ne.jp
Server:         210.230.70.2

Shawn

P.S. this is in an attempt to resolve past threads on realtek drivers
(not the issue) or lan cards (not the issue)