storing root password rpm spec file

Manuel Arostegui Ramirez manuel at todo-linux.com
Wed Dec 20 17:19:00 UTC 2006

El Miércoles, 20 de Diciembre de 2006 18:10, Mikkel L. Ellertson escribió:

> Except for special cases where you can install as a user, you are
> normally running as root when you install an RPM. You need to be
> root to write to the bin and sbin directories.

Yeah, I didn't explain myself correctly, It's nothing related with root
password, just database one.

> Now, as far as configuring the database, that is a different problem
> - you need to be able to access the database as a user with the
> correct permissions to create databases and tables. If you know the
> password, you can use the --password=<password> option for the mysql
> command, or the equivalent if using another version of sql.

Yeah, the problem is exactly that, obiusly, the package will be installed on
machines which I have not under control, so that's why I'm interested in a
way to ask for the password during the "rpm -i" process and then using it
whith mysql -u root -p `password`

> Also,  the sql password for root does not have to be the same as the system
> password for root. (When first installed, there may not be a root
> password in the sql tables.)

I know (see above) :)

> Getting the password interactively when doing an RPM install is a
> problem because of the design of rpm, and the fact that it may be
> running under a front-end program, or as part of a batch job. I can
> remember long threads about this in the past...

Have you seen for example nagios-mysql (debian package) it asks for user and
password of the mysql, that's exactly what I want.

Thanks
--
Manuel Arostegui Ramirez.

be used for urgent or sensitive issues.