FC6 and "Realtek High Definition Audio" problem

Lyvim Xaphir knightmerc at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 27 20:38:37 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-12-27 at 15:21 +0000, Martin Denham wrote:
> I have just installed FC6 but there is no sound.
>
> Do you know if ALSA supports "Realtek High Definition Audio" on-board sound.
>
> Here is a list of what is installed:
> [me at localhost ~]$ rpm -qa | grep alsa
> alsa-lib-1.0.12-2.fc6
> alsa-utils-1.0.12-3.fc6
> alsa-lib-devel-1.0.12-2.fc6
> alsa-lib-1.0.12-2.fc6
>
> The "Soundcard Detection" program displays "nVidia Corporation MCP61
> High Definition Audio", but I don't know why it displays that, or if it should.
>
> Thanks
>
> Martin

Nvidia is probably licensing the technology from Realtek and integrating
that into their chipset, using it as a little extra advertisement at the
OS level.

Try something different if you don't make any headway.  Go to
http://www.opensound.com/

And get the latest drivers.  The sound code is better quality and you
actually get support.  Doesn't cost anything.  Basically higher quality
for free.

LX