qwerty layout shortcuts

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 10:03:17 UTC 2006

On 28/12/06, Dylan Semler <dylan.semler at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/27/06, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On KDE I've got three keyboard layouts installed- US English, Dvorak,
> > and Hebrew. I go nuts switching over to US English everytime that I
> > need to perform a keyboard shortcut. How can I have the keyboard
> > shortcuts work as if the keyboard is always qwerty? I'd like to
> > configure it at the X level rather than at the KDE level, but I'd
> > accept any solution that works. Thanks in advance.
>
> What do you mean by keyboard shortcuts.  Can you give an example?
>
>  I know for emacs, doing ctrl-x ctrl-s and ctrl-x ctrl-c is really awkword
> in dvorak, so I've remaped ctrl-x to ctrl-o, ctrl-s to ctrl-e, and ctrl-c to
> ctrl-u.  This way I can save and quit much easier.  This is done by placing
> the following in my .emacs file:
>
> (global-set-key (kbd "C-o") ctl-x-map)
> (global-set-key (kbd "C-x C-e") (lookup-key global-map (kbd "C-x C-s")))
> (global-set-key (kbd "C-x C-u") (lookup-key global-map (kbd "C-x C-c")))
>
> You're probably looking for something much more general, but if you use
> emacs, this quick fix will save a lot of finger-pain.

In qwerty, I use Ctrl-V to paste in every application. In Hebrew
layout, I must switch first to English layout, Ctrl-V, then swtich
back to Hebrew layout in order to paste. I'd like Ctrl-ה (which is on
the same key as V) to paste.

Dotan Cohen

http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/lyrics/107/19/adams_bryan/you_want_it_you_got_it.php
http://what-is-what.com/what_is/protocol.html