kubuntu install takes over my fc5 grub

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 28 14:21:31 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-12-28 at 01:16 +0000, Jack Byers wrote:

> Jack Byers     byersj at hotmail.com
>
> Tom Horsley responded:
>
> Much the same thing happened to me with a beta version of opensuse,
> I found these instructions to get back control of the master boot record:
>
> Boot off fedora dvd.
>
> Type linux rescue, answer all the questions, might as well skip
> mounting any partitions.
>
> grub
> root (hd0,0)
> setup (hd0)
> quit
> exit
There are three things strange about these instructions. they are:
1. I am not sure but you are assuming that you can save the MBR on a
disk without mounting it or giving the system access to the grub.conf in
the disk. Maybe this will work but it seems strange.
2. I would expect to have to mount the disk with / and/or /boot on it.
3. Then I would expect to do chroot /mnt/sysimage

> This assumes, of course, that the first partition of the 1st
> disk is where you were previously booting from. Might have to
> adjust the hd0 and hd0,0 if it was a different partition.
> -----
> Jack Byers response
> I thinki solved it, at least i got the fc5 boot menu back
> 1st atttempt
> booted off a knoppix cd
> went to a root shell
> tried the above cmds, it gave weird response even to  r (hd0,0)
> andthen failed completely on setup (hd0)
>
> 2d attempt, still booted up in knoppix
> grub> find /boot/grub/stage1
>     (I got this from carla schroder book  linux cookbook)
> it gave seral responses    but hd0,0 was not among them
> even tho my fc5 is on sda1
> i probably got several responses bc of my multi linux os setup
> i picked the lowest response    to use
> root (hd1,0)
> setup (hd1)
> all looked good
> quit
> and rebooted
> got my usual fc5 boot menu back!!!!!
> not sure of why hd0,0   didnt work. maybe bc of using the knoppix cd to boot
> from?
>
> anyway much thanks to Tom
> the next thing is to see if my grub.conf is properly setup to boot the k.new
> ubuntu
> it should be,  but this mixture  of hd0,0     and hd1,0   tells me i dont
> really
> know what is going on
> Jack

> Your Hotmail address already works to sign into Windows Live Messenger! Get
> it now
> http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwme0020000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://get.live.com/messenger/overview

Absence makes the heart forget.
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net