copy and tar performance?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Dec 29 07:13:40 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-12-27 at 14:04 -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> If you are doing the copy graphically, there may be overhead with
> displaying the progress (I don't do copies that way, so don't know if
> in fact that is the case) which slows things down and doing a command
> line copy might be easier on your CPU.

Using Nautilus, for instance, does slow down copying immensely.  But not
from the progress bar (in my case, at least), but from what monitors
changes to the file system (where the file is being copied to).  I found
that changing the window showing the destination to show another
directory made a big difference.