Enable printer wierdness ??

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 31 22:42:26 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-12-31 at 13:37 -0500, William Case wrote:
> Hi;
>
> This is a little complex to follow.  It's taken me two weeks to define
> the problem without finding a solution.  Basically, my HP
> psc_1310_series printer keeps becoming un-enabled and removed as
> default.  Here is what happens:
>
> I login, check my printer_config settings and my HP psc_1310_series
> printer is check marked as enabled.  Open a word processing or text
> editing program such as Open Office Writer, AbiWord, emacs or gedit and
> try and print a test page.  The test page is put in the queue but no
> printing.  I again check my printer_config; my HP psc_1310_series
> printer is no longer enabled.  If I re-checkmark the enabled box and
> 'Apply', the printer immediately prints everything in the queue even if
> I have cancelled all the outstanding jobs.
The fact that you indicate that you are chek marking a printer as
enabled leads me to believe you are not using the cups web page to
configure your printers. Is that true? If so that is a mistake. Use the
web interface ans maybe your troubles will disappear.

> Everything continues to print fine in every program until I log out and
> in again.  The cycle continues with the printer_config being marked as
> enabled until I call a new test print job.
>
> I am baffled.
>
> --
> Regards Bill

A manager went to his programmers and told them: "As regards to your
work hours: you are going to have to come in at nine in the morning and
leave at five in the afternoon." At this, all of them became angry and
several resigned on the spot. So the manager said: "All right, in that
case you may set your own working hours, as long as you finish your
projects on schedule." The programmers, now satisfied, began to come in
a noon and work to the wee hours of the morning. -- Geoffrey James, "The
Tao of Programming"
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net