Solution on using serial port mouse in Fedora Core 4

Wong Kwok-hon kwokhon at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 03:38:23 UTC 2006

Hello all,

I found that the Fedora Core 4 is only can use USB mouse and failed to
reconfigure to use serial mouse such as using COM1-4. I found from the
other board and tested it is work as follows:-

Quote started
====================
Here is what I do to fix for FC4 (both x86-32 and x86-64) for serial mice:

1. Log into console or text mode as root.
2. Run mouseconfig - set up for serial mouse, ignore any error messages.
3. Use your favourite editor to open /etc/sysconfig/mouse
4. The last line should contain /dev/mice - change this to /dev/ttyS?
where the  question mark refers to the port your mouse is plugged
into.
5. Save /etc/sysconfig/mouse
6. Run service gpm start and when you go back to X (Gnome / KDE) the
mouse  should work.
Quote ended

#Note the gpm cannot restart after mouseconfig done and just work
after reboot as I tried.

And I wonder why the author didn't fix the problem permanently so need
to fix it manually.

Hope that can help other people.

Wong Kwok Hon