OT(?) FC2 Very slow printing to HP DeskJet 870Cse

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 3 19:46:05 UTC 2006

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Mike McCarty wrote:
>
>>Here's a copy of /proc/interrupts. Can anyone help
>>me figure out whether the machine is even configured
>>to accept interrupts from the printer? I don't see
>>anything which would lead me to believe that it is.
>>

> You are not using interrupts for the printer port. You may
> want to run tunelp to turn it on. You probably need:
>
> tunelp /dev/lp0 -i 7
>
> Tunelp can also make other adjustments for you...
>
> Mikkel

Hmm, I missed this part...

NOTE: This option will have no effect with  kernel  2.1.131  or later
since  the irq is handled by the parport driver. You can
change the parport irq  for  example  via  /proc/parport/*/irq.
Read  /usr/src/linux/Documentation/parport.txt for more details
on parport.

# uname -r
2.6.10-1.771_FC2

# ls /proc/parport
ls: /proc/parport: No such file or directory

# ls /usr/src/linux/Documentation/parport.txt
ls: /usr/src/linux/Documentation/parport.txt: No such file or directory

Hmm...

Google turned up a document named parport.txt, but it looks
rather old.

I did find this...

# cat /proc/sys/dev/parport/parport0/irq
-1

And -1 happens to be what tunelp reports.

I wonder whether putting a 7 in there would help
any.

# cat /proc/sys/dev/parport/parport0/autoprobe
CLASS:PRINTER;
MODEL:DESKJET 870C;
MANUFACTURER:HEWLETT-PACKARD;
COMMAND SET:PCL,MLC,PML;

which looks correct as much as I understand (command set
I dunno)

# cat /proc/sys/dev/parport/parport0/modes
PCSPP,TRISTATE,EPP

Hmm. EPP looks ok, I guess. I dunno what PCSPP means.

# cat /proc/sys/dev/parport/parport0/spintime
500

I wonder whether tuning this might speed things up?

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.