Sewing machine (was Wireless network sharing)

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Feb 7 10:47:49 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 07 Feb 2006 00:12, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

> Oops - I never said I can spell! Basicly what she has is a box that
> connects to a serial port and programs cards with embroidery designs
> in .pes format. (Babylock format.) I could probably cook up
> something to handle programming the cards, but the real drawback is
> trying to preview the designs. As part of the Embird program that
> she runs, there is a plugin for Windows Explorer that uses a
> thumbnail of the design for the icon. Also, the programming software
> will display the design in each "memory slot" of the card, so you
> can select what design to work on, or where to put the design you
> are adding to the card. There are both programmable cards, and
> pre-programmed cards. (EEPROMs and PROMs, I think.)
>
> Anyway, you can find free designs, as well as design connections
> for sale. Looking at her collection, I would swear she has at least
> a thousand designs. Her filing system is beyond me. (She has a bunch
> that are filed by download date, that have to get filed yet!) Few of
> them have descriptive names, so you need the thumbnail!

I maintain a dual-boot for the same reason.  In my case, it's
Janome's .jef files, that I can download via any browser, but there is
no way you can preview the designs.

The extra complication I have is that the windows software is protected
by a dongle, but the dongle manufacturers say that a linux driver is
available, so I'm going to try to get it running under wine - but I've
no experience of wine at all.

Anne