Wireless network sharing

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue Feb 7 22:59:45 UTC 2006

John Pierce wrote:
>>and the
>>WRT54G has the capabily of isolating clients from each other. Note this
>>does _not_ prevent snooping with software such as Kismet.
>

> I have been trying to assist a friend with his WRT54G and I think the
> wireless side has no way of connecting to the wired side of the
> switch.
>
> He has windows xp on a desktop with an HP printer attached, no matter
> what I do I cannot get the laptop to connect the the share, heck it
> doesn't even see it.  If I plug the laptop in with a wire then all is
> find, kind of defeats the purpose of being wireless.
>
> I brought his laptop home and let it connect to my dlink DI524 and it
> saw and connected to my samba shares and even printed to my epson
> CX6600.
>
> I have yet to find a setting in the WRT54G that will enable the
> wireless to wired connections.

Don't plug anything into the WAN port (unless it's your DSL modem).

This shows the back of the device:
http://seattlewireless.net/~mattw/photos/linksyswrt54g/gallery/resized/IMG_3389.JPG

The single RJ45 connector is for connexion to an ADSL modem: you can
connect it to a LAN, but the default configuration is to use NAT so the
router and its clients all appear at a single IP address. Everything
plugged into the other four RJ45 connectors and the wireless clients all
appear as a single/24 network.

It really should just work. Reread the instructions, reset the device
and start again.

--

Cheers
John