Combine a 2.4 GHz pc with a 500 Mhz pc?

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Feb 8 05:09:04 UTC 2006

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> Is it possible to some how "cluster" my workstation, a 2.4GHz Celeron with
> 1GB of RAM, with a spare 500MHz machine?

Yes, ...

> I orignally aquired the machine to do some Fedora testing on, but it seems
> to me that I can't do that much useful testing on a lowly 500MHz as the
> speed would probably lead to misdiagnosis of potential bugs.
>
> So can I do this? More importantly, how useful do you think this would be?

"The" way to do it depends on what you want to achieve.

If it's for self-education, go to www.google.com and start searching for
different ideas.

For performance? How much is a 500 Mhz CPU with (I'm guessing) 8.4 Gb
disk, 128 Mbytes RAM etc going to add to what you do with the Celery?

It won't do anything for desktop performance, but it would be great
(without any kind of clustering) for testing stuff that could harm your
Celery's setup.

If you're building software, distcc gives a simple kind of clustering. I
think it's at distcc.samba.org

--

Cheers
John