Wifi problem with Fedora Core 4 after yum update

Sean Winship seanwinship at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 10 09:33:09 UTC 2006

I just ran "yum update" and the kernel changed to 2.6.15-1.1830_FC4.
 Prior to this update I would connect to my home wireless network by
 running "ifconfig eth0 down", inserting my wireless card (Wavelan
 Silver), and running:
      /sbin/iwconfig eth1 essid "My ESSID" enc aabbccddee

(I freely admit that my knowledge of Linux wireless networking is
 limited and that the above may be non-optimal.)

After the update, when I insert my wireless card I see wifi0 and wlan0
 instead of eth1 and running:

     /sbin/iwconfig wlan0 essid "My ESSID" enc aabbccddee

gives me an error indicating that the encryption key can't be set on my
 card.

Reverting to a previous kernel on boot allows me to use eth1, so
 something evidently changed with the built-in drivers.  Does anyone
 have any ideas on how to either get the previous behavior from the
 latest kernel or configure wlan0 properly?

Thanks,

Sean