Installing Grub And A Kernel

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Feb 13 03:35:31 UTC 2006

Rejean Proulx wrote:
> I need to reinstall my kernel and grub using the rescue cd or the rescue
> option on the install dvd for fc4. I tried the command grub-install but it
> won't install grub  because the kernel hasn't changed. There is no
> kernel on
> md0. How do I make it install the kernel again. I am trying to fix my boot
> partition to get it to boot.
>
> As there is no screen reader on the fc4 dvd, it is difficult for me to
> search the cd as I must get my wife to read  the screens. Sure wish speakup
> was on that cd.
>
> Is there a documented list of tools and scripts documented somewhere for
> the
> rescue process?
>
> Rejean Proulx
> Visit my family at
> http://interfree.ca
> MSN is:
> rejean at interfree.ca

The rescue CD should contain tools to make recovery easier for all.

Anyway, I believe you want to enter Linux rescue. Next you want to
chroot /mnt/sysimage.
You also want be sure that you have the /boot partition on your system
mounted. This should have become detected by the rescue mode entry.
However, since you do not have a kernel installed, you might need to
mount the boot partition. Usually you will have a /mnt/sysimage for your
root partition and another /mnt/sysimage/boot partition before you
chroot to /mnt/sysimage.

List of tasks you need to do.
- Get into rescue mode and chroot to /mnt/sysimage.
- Ensure that you have your /boot partition mounted.
- Change to the RPMS directory or a directory which contains the kernel
that you want to install.
- Install the desired kernel RPM with rpm -ivh
- check /etc/grub.conf to see if it contains information for the kernel.
- run grub-install /dev/<my-boot-drive>
- reboot

I hope this advise helps.

Jim

--
Today you'll start getting heavy metal radio on your dentures.