Samba problems

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Feb 13 13:28:05 UTC 2006

On Monday 13 February 2006 12:06, Craig White wrote:
> ----
> I've already told you how to find the problem that it logs about your
> home share.

Testparm does not indicate any problem at all, and I can't find any log entry
that helps.

> Cups by default does not share printers - you have to tell it to do
> that. All you really need to do to share a printer is to use
> system-config-printer and indicate which printer you want to share. It
> seems that you want to complicate things.

Running system-config-printer on the server shows the three instances of my
printer as set up in cups, but none of them are marked for sharing.
Highlighting the queues in turn, I am not allowed to edit (or delete), it
seems, and I can't see any way to turn the sharing on without accessing that
edit screen.  I've also looked at the cups configuration utility (via
localhost:631) but there is no way there of enabling sharing.

This seems to be the key to the problem.  What do you suggest is the next line
of investigation?

Anne