Firefox's Saved Passwords (SOLVED)

taharka res00vl8 at alltel.net
Mon Feb 13 14:10:54 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-12 at 15:45 -0500, Bill Perkins wrote:
> Bill Perkins wrote:
> > Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> >>>
> >> The first time you ran 1.5.0.1, it probably upgraded the file to the
> >> new format. When you go back to 1.0.7 it has a problem with the new
> >> format. This is just a guess, but it is fairly normal procedure when
> >> upgrading. That is why it is usually a good idea to back things up
> >> before doing an upgrade.
> >
> > Format seems to be the same, just encrypted slightly differently.
> >
> >> As for not being able to just grab the old password file, and plunk
> >> it into a new directory, and have it work, I consider that a good
> >> thing. You should have to restore the entire configuration. It makes
> >> it harder for someone to grab my password file and use it. (Having
> >> a master password set is also a good idea...) This is especially
> >> true because the password file is not a one-way hash, so you can get
> >> the original password out of it. (Necessary because of the way the
> >> passwords are used - you have to send the original password, not a
> >> hash of it.)
> >>
> >> Mikkel
> >
> > Good point! Didn't think of that, myself. Fortunately, nothing major was
> > lost, and I can always change passwords at the sites where I use them.
> >

> Thank you to all who responded, you got me on the right track! The
> problem was one of the extensions had been updated with FF-1.5.0.1, and
> was giving FF-1.0.7 fits. So, I removed the extensions directory, and
> re-installed the few that I use (noscript, forecastfox, popupmaster, and
> spoofstick). The reason went back to older firefox was because
> spoofstick didn't work under 1.5, and Thunderbird couldn't bring up the
> browser when I clicked on a link in an email. If anybody knows of a good
> replacement for spoofstick for 1.5, and knows how to get Thunderbird to
> place nice again, I'd be interested in hearing about them. Thanks again!

No replacement for spoofstick is necessary :-) Have a look at the
following Firefox extension ;-)

Nightly Tester Tools - Firefox Extension

Nightly Tester Tools 0.7.9.7, by Mossop, released on October 07, 2005
Quick Description

Useful tools for the nightly tester. This extension makes it easy to see
which build of Firefox, Thunderbird or Seamonkey you are using as well
as providing a convenient way to launch talkback for finding your
reports.
Check the homepage for a more detailed list of features.

The latest version allows you to install extensions that firefox
believes are incompatible.

Requires: Firefox: 1.0 - 1.6a1

Complete info at;
https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=958&application=firefox