OT: Two ways Microsoft sabotages Linux desktop adoption

Donald Arseneau asnd at triumf.ca
Wed Feb 15 07:37:24 UTC 2006

Mike McCarty <mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net> writes:

> Donald Arseneau wrote:
> > Mike McCarty <mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net> writes:
> >
> >>However, linking a "work that uses the Library" with the Library creates an
> >>executable that is a derivative of the Library (because it contains portions
> >>of the Library), rather than a "work that uses the library".
> > This "linking" is what we'd normally refer to as "static linking",
> > where the library code is included in the executable.  Dynamic linking to a
> > shared object library does not cause portions of the
> > library to be included in the executable.
>
> Are you a lawyer? Four corporate lawyers I know were of a different
> opinion than you are.

No I am not a lawyer, and so I am capable of understanding the license.
Lawyers are clueless as to when portions of a library are included in
an executable.  You should have given them more technical support.

> All were agreed that if a "linker" were run,
> then the code was "linked",

"Linking" also means a html reference like <a href=...>.  By your logic
that would also virally propagate the GPL.

Donald Arseneau                          asnd at triumf.ca