Gone in 58 seconds (Longish)

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Wed Feb 15 13:09:35 UTC 2006

Mike McCarty wrote:
> Andy Green wrote:
>
> Thanks for the kind reply.

You're welcome.

>> Hm there's your problem, 221K of swap is in use, everything that wants
>> that stuff or memory is going on an voyage out to the HDD.
>
> Erm, the first load is still taking 24 seconds. Perhaps this
> is normal.

I'm coming up from scratch into Writer in about 9 seconds, the first
time.  Subsequently 4 seconds.  But there is a lot of memory an 2 cpus
on this box.

To kill a service for this session and for future sessions:

chkconfig <servicename> off
service <servicename> stop

> rpcidmapd       0:on    1:off   2:off   3:on    4:off   5:on    6:on

This can go unless you use nfs

> rhnsd           0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

Unless you use the RHN "you got updates" applet, you can turn this off.

> netfs           0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
> portmap         0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

NFS stuff I believe.

> rpcsvcgssd      0:on    1:off   2:off   3:on    4:off   5:on    6:on

NFS stuff, kill if you don't use

> rpcgssd         0:on    1:off   2:off   3:on    4:off   5:on    6:on
> nfslock         0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

NFS.

> mdmonitor       0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

No raid?  Kill

> isdn            0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

No isdn?  Kill

> mdmpd           0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

"Multipath device monitor"  Kill kill, faster, pussycat

> kudzu           0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

Not sure, but I think you can turn this on only when you add hardware,
but probably best to leave it on to save against headscratching down the
line.

> irqbalance      0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

Kill unless you are SMP

> pcmcia          0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

Kill unless you are on a laptop, or if you do not have PC Cards / PCMCIA

That will save a few meg, but you can dive deeper: have a look at the
output of

lsmod

Do we see things like ipv6 when you are not on ipv6?

-Andy