ref: Microsoft barriers to Linux adoption on the desktop

Dan grinnz at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 06:46:17 UTC 2006

I don't know about claims of Windows being a CPU hog, but I do know that
while having no ostentatious processes open, Windows runs the CPU around
10% constant, and Linux runs it at around 1-2%. Far more interesting to
me is that Windows uses 250 MB with no programs open (including a fair
bit of startup process tweaking), and Linux is using less than 200 MB
with thunderbird, x-chat and gaim open right now, and commonly runs
using about 100 MB without these processes. With absolutely no process
tweaking. Just my two cents.