Fake eth0

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Feb 17 17:11:12 UTC 2006

On Friday 17 February 2006 03:37, Nguyen Danh Hieu wrote:
>Hi everybody.
>Sorry for my poor English but I have a trouble with ethernet
> interface. I have a new LAN-card on  my machine but MAC-addresss of
> old card is registered so I have to fake MAC address of the new to be
> able to use LAN. I do it with command:
>/sbin/ifconfig eth0 down
>/sbin/ifconfig eth0 hw ether xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>/sbin/ifconfig eth0 up
>
>and MAC is faked, but after that card seem to not work.  no packages
> are send and received.  When I restart computer Lan-card work again
> but with his own MAC so is not registered.
>
>Please help me out of the  problem.
>Thank you.

I believe this is an arp problem.  One might have to go around to all
the other boxes on your network that keep track of such things, and all
of them should, and find and delete the entries in each of the other
machines arp tables so that the new MAC address can be inserted without
the address clash its creating now.

And thats as close to telling you how that I can do because its been >1
years since I had to do that here at home and I didn't make a consious
effort to commit the exact details of it to long term memory in my
ancient wet ram here.

Another possibility might be to give this newer card a different ip
address, but that would require updateing the hosts files across your
network too.  I'd prefer not to have to do that myself.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: